Wadham Lodge 1 Burnham Ramblers 5

Updated: December 2, 2017

A brace from Karl Swanborough helped Burnham Ramblers to a thumping win at Kitchener Road against Wadham Lodge, ending the hosts six game unbeaten run.

The hosts as I said were on a terrific run since Marc Farrell had taken the reins as manager and four wins from their last six games as well as two draws had seen the Walthamstow side climb from bottom to just six points from the top ten in 13th.

Burnham on the other hand ended a poor run of six straight defeats by beating Stansted away prior to this one, coming from behind to win 4-1, so they came into this one with renewed confidence no doubt.

The hosts fired wide after two minutes in the games first chance and three minutes later the home side almost capitalised on a defensive slip but the keeper just managed to grab the ball before the hosts could pounce.

A minute later the visitors got in down the left, however the cross was cleared and resulting corner was dealt with by the hosts, and on nine minutes the hosts were back on the attack and went close as the Burnham defence didn’t pick up an attacker inside box the after a simple ball in, but the effort was fired high and wide.

Two minutes later the visitors went close as Charlee Hughes saw an effort well saved, before another chance, this one for hosts, saw them break in down the left, but the ball across was somehow knocked wide of the far post with the goal gaping.

But moments later the hosts did break the deadlock in the 16th minute as a ball played into Dwade James saw the striker twist and fire past the keeper into the far corner, however just a minute or so later Ramblers levelled as Bradley Morgan saw a cross loop into the far corner.

Chances continued to flow and in the 19th minute Wadham should of been back in front as a long ball caught out the visitors defence, but the effort was fired over, and then midway through the half Hughes thought he had scored for the visitors, but was flagged offside, much to his disgust.

In the 26th minute Burnham went close as the keeper missed a cross, saw the ball headed towards goal, but see the keeper get back to stop the ball going over the line, and a minute later another hosts chance saw them get in but the keeper made a good save, before the corner was blocked before the loose ball was fired wide.

But in the 28th minute the visitors led as Hughes got in and slotted home, however Lodge almost levelled immediately but saw the keeper save, and on the half hour mark Forest got in again through James but was denied by a recovering defender.

And Ramblers punished the hosts further still for their poor finishing by increasing their lead in the 32nd minute as poor defending allowed Swanborough in and he rounded the keeper and slotted home.

And just two minutes later it was four as Ramblers continued to show the hosts how its done when a ball in found Swanborough whose effort back across went in off a defender for an own goal, and the visitors had a three goal cushion.

Lodge were stunned but continued to carve out openings and ten minutes before the break saw James in for them but saw the keeper come out of his area and saw the ball hit his hand, but only a booking was handed out, which was probably the correct outcome.

Five minutes before the break the hosts found themselves in again through James but yet again his effort didn’t find the net and went just wide of the far post, before a minute prior to half time another Lodge chance saw James just fail to connect with a close range effort.

It was the final act of a crazy half of football and saw the visitors with a three goal cushion as they went in for their half time team talks.

Half Time Wadham Lodge 1 Burnham Ramblers 4

The visitors had the first couple of efforts early on in the second period, seeing a free kick into the box messed up by the keeper but the visitors could only prod wide, and then saw another set play fly just wide of the post.

However ten minutes into the second period Burnham did find a fifth as Swanborough grabbed his second, winning the ball off the keeper and ramming home into an empty net, as the visitors were now in total control.

With twenty minutes remaining Hughes saw a volley deflected just wide of the hosts goal, it had been a much quieter half and Lodge had barely threatened in this half, that was until the 73rd minute when James fired an effort way over.

And moments later sloppy play from Burnham allowed James in but he couldn’t get beyond the keeper and eventually saw his effort go wide of the post, before a Ramblers chance with nine minutes left went straight at the keeper from inside the box.

With a minute to go Lodge’s night of woeful finishing was compounded when they somehow missed a chance for a second when after the keeper had made a great save, the rebound was  somehow screwed wide, summing up their evening.

Burnham had one final chance before the final whistle, firing wide of the post after getting in on goal, but the win saw them end the hosts unbeaten run and climb out of the bottom four after back to back wins.

Full Time Wadham Lodge 1 Burnham Ramblers 5

img_20171202_121420 img_20171202_121417 img_20171202_121417 img_20171202_121403 img_20171202_121350 img_20171202_121432 img_20171202_121358 img_20171202_121407 img_20171202_121333

For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at http://www.leaguewebsite.co.uk/unofficialesl
To read my blogs of local footie action visit pedroslocalfootiefix.blogspot.co.uk
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *