Hullbridge Sports 3 Enfield 1893 2

Updated: December 2, 2017

Two Jimmy Cox penalties helped see Hullbridge Sports win a frenetic all Essex Senior League FA Vase contest at Lower Road against Enfield 1893 to make the Last 32 of the competition.

The hosts came close to opening the scoring in the fifth minute when after Cox had kept the ball in down the left, his cross into the dangerzone found the head of Michael Salako but keeper Michael Corderoy pulled off a brilliant save to deny the hosts an early advantage.

However midway through the half the hosts were awarded a penalty when a Joe Pattison effort struck the hand of a defender and saw a penalty given although the visitors felt hard done by as it was struck at him from a short distance.  Anyway Cox put the spot kick away and the hosts had the advantage.

On the half hour mark John Bricknell sent a free kick just over for the visitors as they looked to respond to going behind, and as the half wore down towards it’s conclusion Enfield were applying some pressure however the hosts were just about keeping them at bay and went into the break a goal up.

Half Time Hullbridge Sports 1 Enfield 1893 0

If the visitors were unhappy after the first half penalty, they were even more unhappy four minutes after the break when a cross struck a defenders arm inside the box, however the referee gave a free kick, much to the hosts disbelief, however after he discussed with his assistant he changed his mind and gave the penalty, and saw the visitors go mad.

Anyway after two or three minutes of sorting everything out Cox duly stepped up to convert his second penalty of the afternoon and see the hosts grab a two goal advantage.  Enfield though were furious.

And moments after they were incandescent with rage after they felt they should of had a penalty for a foul inside the box but it was not given, and Enfield went absolutely mental, as they felt they weren’t getting the decisions in this one.

Just past the hour mark and with Enfield trying to find a way back into the game, Ben Bradbury saw an effort go straight at Harley, who was then subbed after a calf muscle injury, meaning substitute keeper Jamie Merrells took over in goal.

Enfield then saw a deep ball towards the far post knocked wide, but then with just under twenty minutes to go Enfield were awarded a spot kick of their own, and Bricknell stepped up to fire home and it was game on.

And minutes later Hullbridge keeper Merralls was shown a straight red for kicking out at visitors substitute Josh Sykes, who was also booked for his part in proceedings, however the tie had become rather tasty.  It also meant Cox, who had netted both Hullbridge goals, became the third person to don the gloves for the hosts in this tie, and Hullbridge had to play the rest of the game a man light.

But with eight minutes remaining it was the hosts who increased their lead when Harry Watkins thumped a wonderful free kick beyond Corderoy from twenty yards and the hosts celebrated as if they had sealed it.

However moments later Enfield pulled one to make things interesting once again when a mad scramble inside the box eventually saw Luke Thomas bury the loose ball from close range, it had been some second half.

Enfield piled on the pressure late on and with six minutes of stoppage time to come it was certainly not over, but the hosts managed to keep the visitors at bay and hold on to progress into the Last 32 of the FA Vase. Phew what a tie!

Full Time Hullbridge Sports 3 Enfield 1893 2

img_20171202_220430 img_20171202_220416 img_20171202_220434 img_20171202_220352 img_20171202_220356 img_20171202_220400 img_20171202_220420 img_20171202_220345

For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at
To read my blogs of local footie action visit
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *