Concord Rangers 1-1 Gloucester City

Updated: November 5, 2017

Saturday 4th November 2017 – Thames Road, Canvey Island
By Andy Wilkins/ @andywilkins2015

Concord Rangers managed to hold Gloucester City to a 1-1 draw in a feisty Vanarama National League South encounter at Thames Road with a goal in both halves coming cancelling out 3 points to either side.

Gloucester looked the better side in the opening minutes of the game and on the 4th minute, Joe Parker made the first attempt of the game for City when he drove into the Concord half and managed a shot on the right hand side of the goal only for Concord keeper Louis Wells saving the shot and deflecting it out before Karnell Chambers launched the ball high and wide afterwards.

It took a bit of time before Concord managed their first attempt at goal and it was when Steve Cawley managed a rather ambitious volley from 25 yards out just before 20 minutes.

It was just a few minutes later when Ben Greenhalgh got hustled off the ball in the penalty area with the referee awarding a penalty. A minute later saw Steve Cawley firmly slotting the penalty in the same way as the keeper but his touch in the penalty saw it being deflected in on the 29th minute.

Quite shockingly, less than a minute later and Gloucester were ready to strike back at Concord when Webb made a cross on Knowles who then knocked the shot over the goal. The final minutes of the half saw City get ever so close to getting the equaliser that was arguably deserved given they had responded well following their earlier conceding.

It was debateable that you could say that Concord had almost relaxed a little since opening the scoring halfway through the half and almost letting their visitors get back into the game.

The second half started with Concord looking to compose themselves more on the ground and continued to do so with many good phases of play whilst Gloucester looked more deadly throughout on the attacks.

It also has to be noted that the referee turned down the chance to award many debateable-penalties to both sides but preferably City were denied the most chances.

Eventually after a few minutes of attacking and Concord’s defence being on superb form at the last chance, Chris Knowles got the equaliser with a powerful header going past the Concord defence in the 63rd minute following a good cross from Tom Webb.

Afterwards, the game settled down a lot with both teams making various attempts to win the game. It had a very distinct feeling that either side was going to nick it in the final 10 minutes of the game with counter-attacks happening from both sides.

Eventually, the full time whilstle signalled the end of a well contested game with Concord now being able to acknowledge they were out of the relegation zone whilst drawing their 6th league game in a row. They will now hope to continue their good form on Tuesday night when they host Eastern Counties Premier League side Wivenhoe Town in the Essex Senior Cup.

Many thanks to Concord Rangers for their fantastic hospitality as always and I wish both teams all the best for the season.

To read my articles, previews and much more involving non-league football, visit my website at
To read my blogs of local footie action visit
I’m also on Twitter at @andywilkins2015

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *