Charlton Athletic 3 Truro City 1

Updated: November 5, 2017

Two Ben Reeves strikes helped the Addicks see off a plucky Truro City at The Valley to reach the Second Round Proper of the Emirates FA Cup.

The League One hosts went into this one as favourites due to their four step advantage over their Vanarama South opponents from Cornwall, but this is the cup and backed by almost 1,000 of their own fans they Truro were well up for the challenge.

The hosts created the first chance in the seventh minute when Forster-Caskey saw his header tipped onto the bar by Truro keeper McHale whilst two minutes later Charlton keeper Amos had to keep out a header from Harvey.

But on ten minutes the League One hosts grabbed the lead when a ball into the box found Reeves totally unmarked in the middle of the area and he smashed home and give the Addicks an ideal start.

Two minutes later Holmes went on a great run for the hosts and after driving into the box saw his cross shot deflected wide for a corner whilst down the other end in the 19th minute Keats tried his luck from range but it was easy for Amos in hosts goal.

However Truro were so close to an equaliser midway through the half as Richards saw an effort cleared off the line and just before the half hour Holmes struck one over the Truro bar, but it had been the visitors that had been the better side in the last few minutes of the contest.

In the 33rd minute a decent chance for Truro saw defender Gerring send a header straight at Amos and then barely a minute later down the other end Forster-Caskey forced a decent save from McHale.

Holmes saw a free kick tipped wide by Truro keeper McHale two minutes before the break but at the half the League One side only had a one goal lead and knew they were in a game.  Next goal was going to be crucial.

Half Time Charlton Athletic 1 Truro City 0

That next goal went to the hosts eight minutes into the second period and gave them some breathing space as Marshall cut inside and struck an effort which took a huge deflection, wrong footing McHale, and thumping into the back of the net.

The Addicks went for a killer third and two minutes later saw great play by Holmes eventually see him fire an effort straight at McHale before a terrific run by DeSilva saw him play in Marshall, but it was straight at McHale.

Truro though rallied and fired an effort straight at Amos and then on the hour mark got themselves right back into the tie when after both teams had efforts saved, Harvey headed a downward effort into the corner and sent the 996 Truro fans behind that goal wild.

Charlton tried to grab a quick third to try and settle the home sides nerves and in the 65th minute Fosu, just on as a substitute for the hosts, cut inside but saw McHale get down well to save his effort, but with twenty minutes left they did find a third when Reeves played a one two with Holmes and fired home via McHale’s hand to settle the tense feeling amongst the home crowd.

With fifteen minutes remaining it should of been four as a lovely lofted ball over the Truro defence found Forster-Caskey in acres of space, but he could only drill his effort wide, but Truro weren’t giving up and with eleven minutes left saw a good move result in a Neal effort being saved before another Truro attack saw another effort blocked, with the resulting corner seeing centre half Gerring head just wide.

With Truro throwing men forward they left themselves vunrable to a pacey Addicks counter attack, but the hosts made a right mess of a couple whilst Truro saw a miskick inside the hosts area trying to grab a second, and a crazy passage of play ended with the hosts passing up another opportunity.

With four minutes left Forster-Caskey somehow missed from close range as Charlton continued to look for a fourth, and two minutes later Fosu cut inside but sent an effort miles wide. Truro were looking out on their feet, but they had given everything in this one.

They so nearly found a second in stoppage time when Harvey saw an effort tipped onto the hosts bar, and from this Charlton broke through Holmes, but his effort was well saved by McHale at his near post.

And that was the last piece of action in this one and saw the League One hosts prevail but only after one hell of a tussle with the Vanarama South visitors who had done their club proud, just like the wonderful support received behind the goal all game.

But it is Charlton Athletic who will be in that Second Round Proper draw on Monday evening.

Full Time Charlton Athletic 3 Truro City 1

img_20171105_220849 img_20171105_220933 img_20171105_220933 img_20171105_220802 img_20171105_220900 img_20171105_220856 img_20171105_220944 img_20171105_220843 img_20171105_220922 img_20171105_220927 img_20171105_220811

For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at
To read my blogs of local footie action visit
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *