Southend Manor 2 Enfield 1893 2

Updated: October 26, 2017

A late Bayley Newell strike salvaged a point for hosts Southend Manor in their Essex Senior League encounter with Enfield 1893 at Southchurch Park.

Manor had the first attack in the fourth minute when they burst down the left and sent in a dangerous cross which was sliced just over their own bar by a visiting defender however in the 11th minute Enfield won a penalty after hosts skipper Lee Delf was adjudged to have handled inside the box, and Danny Jones converted the spot kick to give the visitors the lead.

Midway through the half Manor threatened when Delf sent a header back across goal before it was headed clear from goal but just before the half hour mark the hosts did level when after a corner from Jamie Brown caught out Michael Corderoy, the keeper managed to claw it out only for full back Alfie Lindfield to blast the loose ball over the line.

However just moments later Enfield almost went back in front but Mullins saw his effort saved by David Leader but nine minutes before the break Enfield did go back in front when a through ball found Jones who finished confidently beyond Leader for his second of the contest.

Manor pressed hard for a leveller before half time and three minutes before it saw some superb play from Brown give himself a sight of goal but his finish was wild and miles off target.

And just before the break the hosts threatened twice more when a Brown cross hit Jacob Cleaver and ended up in Corderoys hands, and then Newell found himself in on goal but saw Corderoy save meaning the visitors held a slender lead at the break.

Half Time Southend Manor 1 Enfield 1893 2

Eight minutes into the second half Enfield should really have gone further ahead when the ball dropped to Jones in a great position but he could only blast his effort over the bar.

And three minutes later the hosts should of levelled as a brilliant ball into the box saw Newell miscontrol, however Robbie Norris picked up the loose ball but could only lift his effort over.

Manor attacked again just past the hour mark and saw full back Lindfield in down the left, however his effort was saved by Corderoy, before a sloppy pass in midfield by Manor saw Ben Bradbury intercept, but his long range effort flew way off target.

I’m the 68th minute the visitors went close to a third when Mullings turned his marker and fired a cross come shot across the six yard box but moments later the hosts were fuming after Newell tussled with a defender going through on goal but the referee adjudged there was no foul, and Cleaver and Lindfield were booked for their protests.

With fifteen minutes remaining Jones burst forward for the visitors but saw his effort at goal saved by Leader and in the 89th minute as Manor piled on the pressure the visitors caught them on the break and should of sealed the points but after Carl Mullings had been put clear, he could only fire straight at Leader, then their next break out saw a ball fly just wide of the far post.

Corderoy then had to come and snuff out a hosts effort as the game entered stoppage time but two minutes into it Manor finally found an equaliser when a ball into the box by late substitute Rhys Fatt fell to Newell who rifled home via keeper Corderoy’s hands and snatch a point for the hosts.

Full Time Southend Manor 2 Enfield 1893 2

dnae8txw0amennb dnae-9hw0aeeoy1 dnae9qewsaiuhs9 dnafaqfx0aeiqrh dnaunptxcaedf3n dnauoi7xkaer0hj dnaup4zwaaeyizo dnaurrvxkaeu__t

For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at
To read my blogs of local footie action visit
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *