Hayes & Yeading United 0 Havant & Waterlooville 4

Updated: October 1, 2017
My Emirates FA Cup journey continued with my first ever visit to the SKYex Community Stadium as Hayes &Yeading United hosted Havant & Waterlooville in a Third Qualifying Round tie.
The hosts, who ply their trade at Step Four in the non league pyramid in the Evo Stik Southern One East, had knocked out Brimscombe & Thrupp (Hellenic League, Step Five), Maldon & Tiptree (Bostick North, Step Four) and FC Romania (Essex Senior League, Step Five) to get this far although the last two were both after replays so it had been anything but straightforward.

Visitors Havant are two steps above in the Vanarama South (Step Two) and entered the competition in the last round and saw off Merthyr Town from the Evo Stik Southern Premier (Step Three) to set up this tie here.  It was no surprise that the visitors came into this one as favourites too.

The visitors threatened an opener as early as the second minute as a goal mouth scramble saw the ball scrambled off the line before the follow up came back off the post and was then cleared away.

The visitors continued to dominate early proceedings and on eleven minutes saw a close range effort blocked, and on twenty five minutes the hosts lost the ball on the left flank outside their own box and saw Havant play a good ball across the six yard area but it evaded everyone and went away from danger.

As the game went past the half hour mark Hayes began to grow into the contest and saw a free kick saved, but with nine minutes of the half remaining the visitors should of gone in front when a cutback to Harris saw the visitors centre half get his feet all wrong and miskicked the ball away from point blank range when any decent contact would been a certain goal.

And just before the break Prior volleyed a decent effort wide for the visitors however the half did end goalless and although Hayes were competing well the visitors probably should of been in front, however it meant an interesting second half awaited us.

Half Time Hayes & Yeading United 0 Havant & Waterlooville 0

However early on in the second half the hosts had a terrible start as they were reduced to ten men as skipper Mentis was dismissed for a second yellow, and it was double trouble as the skipper had to be stretchered off anyway after injuring himself in making the tackle.

It was a set back the hosts never recovered from as the visitors pounced on having an extra man and nine minutes into the second half took the lead when a corner came out to full back Williams and he beat a defender before thumping an effort into the far corner and finally give the Hawks the advantage.

And just five minutes later it was two for the visitors as Williams turned provider, sending in a pinpoint cross to Prior who sent a downward header into the back of the net, and barely a minute after it was three goals in six minutes when Woodford headed home a corner from close range, as the hosts were being totally overrun at this stage.

And in the 63rd minute it should of been another for the visitors but Williams fired way over after cutting inside onto his right foot, and then midway through the half Hayter, on as a second half substitute, should of scored but saw his effort drift an inch or so wide of the hosts far post.

With twenty minutes remaining another second half substitute Tubbs saw an effort saved by Hayes keeper Smith, before another effort was blocked by an overworked home defence.

However with just over fifteen minutes remaining the visitors did add a fourth when after Hayes keeper Smith came out and headed a ball clear, it went straight to Hayter who from about 35 yards out fired a brilliant effort over the stranded keeper and into the net.

Moments later Tarbuck saw an effort cleared off the hosts line, whilst down the other end with ten minutes left Gordon curled a free kick straight into the arms of Havant keeper Young, who in all honesty hadn’t had much to do in this tie.

With five minutes left hosts keeper Smith pulled off a wonderful save from a Hayter header but the visitors ended up strolling into the Fourth Qualifying Round and await Monday’s draw in anticipation.

For Hayes it was all over for another season, they had competed well up until that Mentis red card, but after that were completely outclassed by their higher league opponent’s but should take pride in reaching this stage of the competition.

Full Time Hayes & Yeading United 0 Havant & Waterlooville 4

img_20171001_112738 img_20171001_112734 img_20171001_112654 img_20171001_112729 img_20171001_112812 img_20171001_112729 img_20171001_112806 img_20171001_112718 img_20171001_112744 img_20171001_112757 img_20171001_112718
For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at http://www.leaguewebsite.co.uk/unofficialesl
To read my blogs of local footie action visit pedroslocalfootiefix.blogspot.co.uk
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *