Hullbridge Sports 1 Sporting Bengal United 1 (Hullbridge Sports won 4-2 on penalties)

Updated: September 27, 2017

On a misty ish evening in South Essex Hullbridge Sports hosted Sporting Bengal United at Lower Road in a Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy Round One tie.

And the hosts got the best possible start as barely a minute had elapsed when Jimmy Cox sent in a free kick onto the head of Luka Frankis and the Hullbridge attacker found the corner of the net and the hosts had an early lead.

And it should of been doubled in the fifth minute when a cross found Sam Dulieu totally unmarked inside the box however he could only send his effort wide of the target.

The hosts suffered a blow in the 16th minute when Howard Wright pulled up with a hamstring injury and had to be replaced by Jamie Buffin, however the hosts had certainly started the better here.

However after twenty minutes or so the visitors began to find their rhythm and in the 21st minute saw Ashaan Siddik go on a mazy run for Sporting but saw hosts keeper Bobby Mason come out to smother the ball before he could get a strike off on goal.

But five minutes later Sporting were level when Mahdi Khan found some space to drill an effort at goal which went through Mason’s grasp and into the net, and this contest was all square.

Just past the half hour mark though Hullbridge almost retook the lead but Lewis Watson saw his header come off the top of the bar and over for a goal kick, and three minutes later up the other end the visitors went close when a poor punch out from Mason found Siddik who struck a first time effort back at goal but this was brilliantly tipped over by Mason.

However the hosts had a golden chance to take the lead four minutes before half time when they were awarded a penalty after Charlie Buffin had brought down Siddik, but Mason saved Freddy Tandon’s spot kick and the game remained goalless.

A minute before the break a deep ball to Sportings back post found Frankis who struck the base of the near post however this very entertaining half ended all square.

HT Hullbridge Sports 1 Sporting Bengal United 1

Hullbridge so nearly started the second half like this first but saw Watson’s effort brilliantly saved by Ataaib Khan, and then three minutes later the visitors attacked and saw Cody Cameron lay in Curtley McIntosh, but the forwards effort was way over the hosts bar.

Nine minutes into the second period the hosts saw a one two between Dulieu and Cox end with the formers effort deflected at goal but then headed clear and then just before the hour mark Watson saw an effort headed off the visitors line after keeper Ataaib Khan had flapped at a Charlie Buffin high ball into the area.

The hosts were well on top at this stage and midway through the half saw a Dulieu effort saved by Ataaib Khan but the home side could not find that second goal and saw the visitors begin to find their feet again.

With three minutes remaining Sporting almost pinched it as a breakout from a hosts free kick saw a ball across the box miss Siddik’s foot by inches and a minute later another ball into the Hullbridge area found Jamalur Rahman but he could only send a weak effort at Mason.

Moments later Watson sent a looping header wide for the hosts as both teams were going for the winner and to try and prevent a penalty shootout.

And deep into stoppage time Sporting had that chance to find a winner when they won their second penalty of the contest when Charlie Buffin inexplicably pushed Mahdi Khan over whilst the attacker was bearing down on goal. The result was a penalty and a second yellow for the Bridge player meaning a red card.

Cody Cameron was given the chance to win the tie for the visitors but incredibly sent his spot kick over the bar, meaning the tie did indeed finish all square and needed penalties to decide the winner.

Both missed their opening kicks, however after Hullbridge had taken a 3-2 lead and saw Sporting miss again, substitute Damien Siemienczuk had the chance to net the winning spot kick, which he did, meaning the hosts ran out 4-2 winners in the shoot out and set up an away tie at Great Wakering Rovers in Round Two.

FT Hullbridge Sports 1 Sporting Bengal United 1 (Hullbridge Sports won 4-2 on penalties)

dkq_kkmwaaaqxu6 dkraovjwkaakf5z dkrap27wkaao-bo dkrartexcaea5s0 dkratemx0aal32z dkrecc_xuaeo3nm dkrkorow0aetdth dkrkqvfwkac6wkz dkrkrinxoaa0jn3 dkrktgsw4aaafn

For all things ESL visit my unofficial page at
To read my blogs of local footie action visit
Also find me on twitter @ped1980

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *